Research & Development Laboratory Technician
BNNT, LLC is seeking a Research and Development Laboratory Technician with a background in materials science or chemistry to support the development of products for boron nitride nanotubes (BNNTs). You will have the unique opportunity to work on cutting edge nanomaterial research aimed toward applying BNNTs to produce game-changing products. You will contribute to both internal and external R&D efforts by carrying out carefully designed experiments, optimizing processes, developing standard operating procedures, and reporting data. Experts from a variety of fields of science will support you and work closely with you. The ability to work in a team environment and interact with management and employees within the organization will help you succeed in this role.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assisting in R&D efforts to produce BNNT composites and BNNT in processed form factors for experiments in-house and with external collaborators.
- Performing routine and non-routine refining, processing, and analysis of BNNT material.
- Recording, compiling, and reporting experimental data.
- Maintaining and cleaning the laboratory and equipment.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Associates degree in Science, Engineering, or related field.
- 1+ year experience working in a laboratory setting, including knowledge of common lab practices and good chemical hygiene.
- Attention to detail, excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently by prioritizing activities.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities and workload that are inherent in a fast-paced environment.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work with others in a highly collaborative environment.
- Ability to work safely both independently and in collaboration with others.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Materials Science, Materials Engineering, or related field.
- Knowledge and experience of polymers, composites, and nanomaterials.
- Pick, pinch, or otherwise work with fingers; seize, grasp, hold, turn, or otherwise with hands.
- Lift 30-pound objects.
- Walk within facility areas, with occasional kneeling, stooping, crouching, and crawling.
- Work in both hot and cold conditions.
- Sit and work at a computer workstation for extended periods of time.
- Identify and distinguish colors, perceive temperatures, and smells.
- Distinguish equipment noises, tones, and alarms from background noises.
The incumbent may be assigned to work areas where certain potentially harmful physical and chemical agents are present which may include fumes, dust, noise, heat, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation and chemicals.
Primary Location: BNNT Materials LLC’s headquarters located in Newport News, VA.
Travel Required: Occasional local travel.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, other federal, state, or local protected class or on the basis of disability.
How to Apply
Resumes can be submitted electronically in PDF format via our online career form.