BNNT, LLC is seeking a Materials Scientist or Chemist with a background in polymer nanomaterials composites. The successful candidate will have the scientific, visionary, and leadership skills to advance boron nitride nanotubes (BNNTs) to a premier role in composites including associated electronic and thermal management properties. They will take R&D activities all the way through to successful commercial products. In addition, they will have the skills to collaborate with a variety of partner scientists and engineers in industries working with BNNT.
The successful candidate will conduct cutting-edge research on nanomaterials technology at BNNT, LLC, a Virginia-based startup, spun out of NASA Langley Research Center and the U.S. Department of Energy’s Jefferson Lab. We are looking for an individual at the entry staff scientist/engineer level with the vision and talents to take advantage of the unique opportunity for advancing this novel nanotechnology.
The person hired will be self-motivated with intentions to develop products from the whiteboard to the R&D apparatus to the factory. Their role will be key to the advancement of a small business where talents, creativity, drive, and expertise are embraced and rewarded. We are seeking a person who is efficient with their time and capable of being an independent productive person within the department. The individual must work well and in particular have a passion for nanomaterials development. BNNT is excited to offer this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for collaboration within academia, industry, and within the Company to someone who can achieve these goals.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform innovative chemistry and materials R&D in areas of BNNT based polymer composites, and in the areas of BNNT fabrics and purification processes.
- Create laboratory procedures that are safe to effectively advance towards prototypes and then commercial products.
- Conduct surface analysis, interpret data, and communicate effectively to progress rapidly.
- Provide safety operating procedures for all phases of operation of BNNT-based materials processes.
- Interact within Company and with outside collaborators to alleviate learning curves and make educated decisions.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Masters or Ph.D. in a science or chemistry discipline from an accredited university.
- Minimum of four (4) years of research experience.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in vacuum systems, scanning electron microscopy, infrared spectroscopy, atomic force microscopy, time of flight secondary ion mass spectrometer, electron dispersive spectroscopy, sputter coating, x-ray diffraction, mechanical testing.
- Expertise with one or more of a variety of materials, such as thin films, nanoparticles, graphene, carbon nanotubes, polymers, or composites, etc., is desirable.
- Strong oral and written communication/presentation skills.
- Must be able to pick, pinch, or otherwise work with fingers; seize, grasp, hold, turn, or otherwise with hands.
- Must be able to lift 30 pound objects.
- Must be able to walk within facility areas, with occasional kneeling, stooping, crouching, and crawling.
- Must be able to work in both hot and cold conditions.
- Must be able to sit and work at a computer workstation for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to identify and distinguish colors, perceive temperatures, and smells.
- Must be able to distinguish equipment noises, tones, and alarms from background noises.
The incumbent may be assigned to work areas where certain potentially harmful physical and chemical agents are present which may include fumes, dust, noise, heat, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation and chemicals.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Who May Apply
U.S. Persons (includes U.S. citizens and “green card” holders)
May include up to 5-15 % domestic/international
Download Position PDF
How to Submit Resume